Sabudana (Tapioca) Khichadi or Sabudana Khichdi is a very tempting dish usually eaten during fasting or upvas. But nowadays, whether you observe fast or not, you can eat it without guilt. In olden times people used to eat sabudana khichadi only during fasting. But nowadays it has become one of the famous street food. You can find sabudna khichdi stalls in nearly every corner of the City. Though, I am talking about Indore, the Cleanest City in India, where I live. Here is the scenario that you will find sabudana khichdi stalls nearly at every corner of the City. I bet you can not resist eating this soft hot serving, tempered with cumin seeds, chopped green chilies, boiled or fried potatoes, and roasted peanuts.
Whenever my Mom observed fast when I was a kid or even when I was grown up, it was like a treat day for us all kids at home. Because she used to prepare sabudana khichadi, and we got to enjoy eating it. I know it must be the case with most of you also.
I must admit that when I was during my first job, I had started fasting to treat myself with these soft tiny pearls once a week. And the fun part was that when my boss once tasted it, he gulped all the khichdi from my lunch box. That’s why from that time, I had to pack some extra portions in my lunch box.
Whether we are fasting or not, let’s quench our cravings for sabudana khichadi with this quick and easy recipe. This sabudane ki khichdi ki recipe is for all the sabudna lovers, so let’s cheer!
Table of Contents
- How To Make Sabudana Khichadi| Sabudana Khichdi For Fast| How To Prepare Sabudana Khichdi| Sabudane Ki Khichdi Ki Recipe| How To Make Sabudane Ka Poha Recipe
- Ingredients For Sabudana Khichadi/ Sabudane Ki Khichdi
- How To Soak Sabudana For Sabudana Khichadi Perfectly
- Method For Sabudna Khichdi
- You May Also Like:
How To Make Sabudana Khichadi| Sabudana Khichdi For Fast| How To Prepare Sabudana Khichdi| Sabudane Ki Khichdi Ki Recipe| How To Make Sabudane Ka Poha Recipe
So here I am going to present a quick and easy recipe for Sabudana Khichdi. Some people like to call it Sabudana Poha. So you may call it Sabudana Poha Recipe. Whatever you love to call it, but it will always be scrumptious and soothe your palate.
Here I would like to add one note if you are allergic to peanuts, or do not like them, then this recipe for Sabudna Poha or Sabudane ki Khichdi can be easily turned into sabudana khichdi without peanuts simply by omitting to add peanuts in the recipe.
Let’s make upvas special sabudane ki khichdi-
Soaking Time: 2 Hours
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Ingredients For Sabudana Khichadi/ Sabudane Ki Khichdi
- 1/2 Cup Groundnut/ Sesame Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Large Potato, cut into medium-sized pieces
- 4 Green Chilies chopped
- 1 cup soaked sabudana (soaked overnight or at least for 2 hours)
- 1/2 cup roasted and coarsely ground peanuts
- Corriander leaves for garnishing
- Lemon wedges for serving
How To Soak Sabudana For Sabudana Khichadi Perfectly
- Take one cup of sabudana, clean it and transfer it to a big bowl because after soaking, it will swell.
- Now wash it with water. I prefer to wash sabudana by adding water up to its level and draining it. I repeat it three times to remove all starch and extra dirt.
- Now add water in the sabudana bowl up to 1/2 to 3/4th inch above its level for soaking. And leave it for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Method For Sabudna Khichdi
- Heat oil on high flame in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Add potatoes and salt. Stir well to mix, and close the lid. Put the flame on low.
- Occasionally check the potatoes, and stir to avoid burning.
- Take out a piece of potato and check if it is well cooked by pressing with a spoon or your fingers.
- Now park the potatoes aside within the walls of the pan, and make space in the center. All oil will come at the center of the pan. Now add green chilies. Saute the chilies. Do not overcook.
- Add soaked Sabudana, peanuts, and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients well. Now put the flame on high and stir continuously for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges on the side.
- We have taken Groundnut or Sesame oil because we are preparing the khichadi as per fast. If you are preparing for a fast, do not use soybean oil because it does not work for fasting.
- If you want little sweetness, you may add one tablespoon of sugar at last.
- You may also use boiled potatoes instead of raw potatoes and saute a bit in oil for preparing khichdi.
- You may adjust the number of green chilies. If you want less spicy, reduce the number of green chilies.
Sabudana Khichdi should be consumed fresh by us. If you have to store it, first, let it cool completely and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When you wish to serve it again, take the sabudana khichdi out of the fridge and leave for 5 minutes. Then heat it on high a flame before serving.
What else would you recommend as tempting as Sabudana Khichdi, I would love to hear.