Here comes my mother’s til Gud ladoo recipe for Makar Sankranti. If you wish to know what is Makar Sankranti and what is the significance of the Makar Sankranti festival, I have discussed the complete information of the festival here.
Why there is a tradition of preparing Til Gud Ladoo or Sesame and Jaggery Ladoo On Makar Sankranti
Before jumping on the recipe for sesame ladoo with jaggery, let us know a little about the significance of preparing Til Gid Ladoo at the Makar Sankranti festival. I have discussed it in my previous post, but if you have not read that, I again tell you the story.
According to Skand Puran, once Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu were taking a holy dip in River Ganga on the same day and the same time. This day was when the sun was entering Capricorn, the star shine of his son Saturn. In Hindi, we call Capricorn Makar, and the entrance of the Sun in Makar Rashi or Capricorn star shine, we call it Sankranti. Hence the day got its name as Makar Sankranti or Makar Sankramana.
So continuing to our story, Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva were taking a holy dip in River Ganga. At that time Goddess Laxmi secretly witnessed their bathing. Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva were aware that Goddess Laxmi was watching them. To this, Lord Shiva gave a boon that, one of the incarnations of Goddess Laxmi would be Gupt Laxmi (Secret Laxmi). And the person who will secretly donate Laxmi in the form of money or wealth, (because Goddess Laxmi is the symbol of Wealth and prosperity), will never suffer from any severe ailment in life.
So because of this tradition, people prepare Til and Jaggery ladoo. In some ladoos, they hide money and donate them to any temple or needy ones. This way they fulfill the criteria of donating Gupt Laxmi or Secret Laxmi to the Makar Sankranti festival.
Let us now make ladoos, so our kids should also enjoy the Makar Sankranti festival with lovely memories, which we still swear by.
Til Gud Ladoo Recipe
Time To Make sesame laddu with jaggery: 2 Hours
Yield: 45-50 Ladoo
Ingredients For Til Gud Laddu
- 1 Kg White Till (White Sesame)
- 750 grams Gud (Jaggery)
- 2 tablespoons of Pure Ghee
- First, clean the sesame seeds, and wash them with normal water. Drain excess water with the help of a strainer. Spread the sesame on a wide plate under sunlight for at least one day.
- Now take a thick base wok and roast the sesame seeds on medium to high flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Let the sesame seeds cool. When they get cooled, coarsely grind them and shift them into another big plate.
- Take the same wok, heat it and add ghee. When the ghee melts, add gud or jaggery. Stir continuously till gud melts completely.
- Turn the flame on low and add coarsely ground sesame seeds and mix well by stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and let the til gud mixture cool enough that you can hold the mix in your hands and grease your hands with water before making the ladoos.
- Use ladoo maker, so that your hands do not burn and get the ladoos done easily. For making ladoo with ladoo maker, grease it with ghee before making the ladoo.
- Let the laddoo set overnight or for at least one hour.
- Makar Sankranti Special Til Gud Ladoo or Sesame Jaggery Ladoo are ready to offer to God and enjoy.
- You may skip washing sesame seeds, but make sure you remove all the dirt and clean them well, else it will make gritty ladoo.
- For donating Gupt Laxmi in the form of ladoo, you may make 5-10 ladoo separately as per your wish and hide currency coins in them. You may donate these ladoos at temple or may give them to the needy.
Til Gud Ladoo Benefits | Sesame Seeds and Jaggery Ladoo Benefits
Sesame and jaggery ladoos are not only tasty, but they have amazing health benefits when we eat them during winters. Sesame seeds are rich in calcium, iron, protein, Vitamin B, C, and Vitamin E. On the other hand, jaggery is rich in nutrients like Sucrose, Glucose, Iron, Phosphorus, and calcium.
Sesame and jaggery have hot effects on the body, so they are very beneficial for eating during winters. Let’s know more about the health benefits of Til Gud Ladoo:
- Sesame and jaggery ladoo or Til Gud Ladoo have hot effects on the body, so it protects the body from cold or flu.
- Til Gud Ladoo contains iron which helps relieve joint pain and muscle pain.
- These ladoos are beneficial for stomach health, as they enhance digestion and keep constipation and acidity at bay.
- Sesame Ladoo with jaggery keeps the respiratory system strong. Because they help throw out cough from the body.
I hope you must have got a clear idea about how to make Til Gud Ladoo and the reason behind making them on Makar Sankranti. I wish you, Happy Makar Sankranti.