Good morning buddies! How are you all? Today, it’s being Sunday Morning, so I have been asked; to prepare poha for breakfast. As we know that what is Poha? But for those buddies who do not know, so for them, Poha is made of rice flakes, and especially on Sunday morning, you will find it in most of the Indian kitchen to serve as breakfast.
I belong to Indore, the city which has continuously won the award of the cleanest city of India for the past four years, you will find Poha and jalebi as a specialty of Indore.
But I like to cook it at home as the first thing is that I don’t want my Poha to be sugary, but most of the outside food corners do so, and secondly, I can customize it as per my taste. And what can be better than the food cooked at home? So I am sharing my recipe for Poha here. If you are new to the kitchen, you will learn how to cook tasty Poha, and if you already know how to cook it, I would love to hear your way of preparing it.
Since it’s winter, the markets are full of green peas. But during the off-season, when I do not find peas, I replace them with peanuts. But the method of preparing is the same either way you prepare poha. So let’s begin –
1/2 KG Poha or Rice flakes (Serves 4-5 person)
4 Tablespoon oil
One teaspoon mustard seeds
One teaspoon cumin seeds
One teaspoon of fennel seeds
15-20 Curry leaves
2 Medium Sized Potato
1 Big Onion, if it’s not big, you can take 2-3 medium-sized Onions
4-5 Green Chillies (You can add more or do less as per your taste.)
1 Cup peeled peas. (Or 1/2 cup peanuts)
1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
2 Tea Spoon sugar (Optional)
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves for garnishing
1/2 cup Pomegranate seeds (Optional)
- First, clean the Poha just like we do rice or any of the lentils. Then take it in a bowl or any container so that we can wash it with water. Do it gently, as Poha is very delicate. Then immediately drain the water to avoid over-soaking by straining poha with the help of a strain. Wash one more time if you feel like washing. Let the washed Poha in Strainer to remove excess water and avoid forming lumps.
- Till the time Poha is soaking, finely chop Onions and green chilies.
- Peel the potatoes, wash and cut them into fine pieces.
- Take oil in a pan and heat it.
- Potato takes little time to cook, so we will first fry them and keep them aside. So add cut potatoes in hot oil and add a little salt. Stir well. You can now put the flame on low and close the pan with a lid. Stir occasionally and check so that potatoes do not get burnt. When they are ready, take them out from the pan and keep them aside.
- Now heat two tablespoons of oil in the same pan and heat it.
- Add mustard seeds. When they pop up, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, curry leaves, chopped onion, and green chilies.
- Continuously Stir well. When onion and green chilies are half cooked, add Peas (If you do not have peas, you can add peanuts). While adding peas, put the flame on medium to low as they also pop up. Add salt and stir well.
- When the peas are ready, add turmeric, Garam Masala Powder, and stir.
- Now add soaked Poha and add salt as per taste.
- Keep the flame on high and continuously Stir till poha is mixed well with all ingredients.
- Now, you can keep the flame on medium and stir continuously till the poha is hot, softened, and all the flavor gets infused into it.
- Now put off the flame, and take the poha out in a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle Sev of your choice on top of the poha.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and pomegranate.
- Put lemon wedge on the side of the plate while serving.
- To add more taste, you can sprinkle JEERAVAN Powder.
Since I don’t like ‘the sweet taste in poha, hence; I have not added sugar to the recipe. But if you like the sweet and tangy taste in poha, you can add sugar when the poha is ready in the pan. Or you can also sprinkle sugar from above after serving on the plate if all of your members do not like sugar. Then squeeze lemon from the top for a tangy taste.
So this is my recipe for Peas Potato Poha. You try the recipe and let me know how it turned out for you.